From:
Michael Radice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 22:08:39 EDT
Dear Alice:

Here's a couple of ideas:
1.  Try this website...  there are internships listed here...
 http://www.interlog.com/~joellong/musjobs/musjobs.html
2.  Greenfield Village has paid internships.  I don't know if you have to be
a student.
3.  Do a websearch, using Yahoo and Alvista, on museum internships.  I just
recently
        finished searching (two weeks ago) but didn't save any of them (I
found an internship).
        I saw a really interesting one with a ghost town in central Colorado,
and another with a
        county historical society in a Plains state (Nebraska, North Dakota?
one of those).
        If I weren't so tied to New York City, I'd have applied for one of
those.
4.The Illinois State Historical Society announced one on the museum-L not too
long
        ago.  I think the listserv has an archive function you could search.
There have been
        others listed.
5.  Many of the paid internships are in less-densely populated areas.  You'll
probably have   to move to get a paid internship.  Perhaps you can work out
an unpaid internship with
        a local museum on the weekends or evenings.  That way you could keep
your
        current job while testing the waters.
6.  Some universities have continuing education programs in arts and/or museum
        administration.  They have internships as part of the program; they
help you look.  I
        know that New York University has this type of program.  I know this
doesn't help you
        in Detroit, but there may be a similar program in your area.
7.  Even if the internship says "students", try anyway.  You never know!
I hope this helps.
Mike Radice
The Union Institute