From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 19:26:05 -0700
--- Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> But similar problemshappen in private business. Have you ever heard of a
stagehand being fired for incompetence?

No, but few stagehands have permanent positions as most work on a per show
basis. They might not get fired from one job but the really incompetent ones
won't get hired for another one.

The technical theater union(IATSE) can also have pretty strict membership
requirements including high dues (up to and over $1000 depending on the local)
as well as practical tests to pass. Members might slack off afterwards but at
least the entry requirements assure some level of competence. One also assumes
that paying the high dues also means that only the serious ones bother applying
in the first place.

Depending on the state, a private company can let someone go without reason or
notice. I don't know all the nuiances to the "right to work" laws but in VA,
all my work contracts stipulate that I can be let go at any time for any reason
without notice, as well as I can choose to leave without notice or reason.
Employees can still sue companies for discrimination but it's hard to prove in
court. Instead, I think that some companies use the practice of running people
out of jobs (making their life hell) as opposed to just firing them on the
spot. When people choose to quit, they have much less recourse than if they get
laid off or fired.

Having been laid off 3 times now, I do think that all managers and HR people
should have to go to termination training (sounds gruesome doesn't it) to
better handle having to let people go. One ex-boss didn't even have the common
curtesey to call me. I got an e-mail at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon saying my
contract was up and to turn in my badge. This is after over a month of asking
why I hadn't been put on the schedule and having worked there for 4 years and
just having attended a conference with the man. Needless to say, I'm hoping
that karmic payback hits him good. Sorry, had to vent a little there. :)

Deb