From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:21:39 -0600
Mary,

First, make your collections policy as specific and detailed as you like.
Give yourself options on duplication, poor condition, wrong period, lack of
provenance, etc. You can always accept gifts you really want for your
collection, even if they are outside your stated scope, but a good policy
gives you the freedom to say no.

Second "appraise" all incoming donations. Your policy should make it clear
to the donor that you may not add everything in their lot to your permanent
collection, and that the disposition of those things not added to your
collection is entirely up to you. When they sign the deed of gift, they are
done. You can give the donor options if you choose, but allow no
restrictions.

Yes. All of this should be very explicit in your policy.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             Mary Oliver
             <MaryOliver@DAYTO
             NHISTORY.ORG>                                              To
             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]
             discussion list                                            cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject
                                       Collections Appraisal Question

             01/07/2004 08:35
             AM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

Good morning,

We are currently looking at our collections policy here at the large,
county historical society where I work to determine if we need to narrow
the scope.  I have a few questions that would help us in our discussions,
but first a little background.  Our society is over 100 years old, and has
been collecting from the beginning.  We are trying to figure out how we can
tighten up our collecting, so that we no longer have to deal with the usual
"gee, we don't know much about it but it is typical of the period so we'll
take it" type of donation to the collection.

Here are my questions:

1. Is your collecting policy very specific or is it fairly general.
2. How often do staff appraise a potential donation before taking it in?
By appraise, I mean sorting through the donation and removing those items
that do not strongly fill you collections policy.  I am in no sense meaning
a monetary appraisal.
3. Is this appraisal step written into your collections policy.

Thanks for any help you can give us as we try to update our policy.

Mary Oliver
Archivist/Curator/Registrar

Montgomery County Historical Society
224 N. St. Clair Street