From:
"Susan L. Maltby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2013 19:16:07 -0500
I am posting this on behalf of someone who is not on the listserve.
It pertains to the discussion, a few weeks back, regarding Corrosion
Intercept.

Sue Maltby, Conservator
Maltby & Associates Inc.
Adjunct Faculty, Museum Studies Programme/Faculty of Information
University of Toronto
174 Spadina Ave. # 602
Toronto, Ontario
M5T 2C2
Canada
416-921-2877

-------

Corrosion Intercept(R) is a polymer that has Copper catalyzed into the
structure.  The Copper is bound to the ends of the polymer chains
providing a torturous path to atmospheric pollution by reacting with
and permanently neutralizing all atmospheric gases that react with
Copper.  The Copper used is small particulates, less than 1/5th the
width of a human hair, and by reacting the Copper to the polymer you
isolate the copper particles, which prevents agglomeration and
prevents the Copper from forming a continuous or contiguous film or
sheet of Copper.  It is only with direct contact to a mass of Copper
that you see interactions between a material being protected and
Copper - since we do not have that continuous mass, we have no
reactions.  We have substantial data (25 years of real life data and
accelerated testing) confirming this.  The Intercept film can turn
green from reactions with humidity and the corrosive gases, but we
have never seen the material being protected damaged; be it wood,
metal, leather, fabric or other materials of construction.
Furthermore, the Copper has a thin, porous coating of polymer over it
which also prevents direct contact with what is being protected.

Intercept was evaluated by  one of the  leading Japanese museums
recently,again passing PATtesting.  Intercept will not contaminate
objects (Intercept has novolatiles and no  measurable Non-Volatile
Residue or NVR).  Intercept has passed  NASA testing  for space
flight (ionic and particulate  contamination) and has not shown to
negatively react with any metal, fabric, organic or other materials.
   Recent testing with LSU in Baton  Rouge  shows that Intercept
effectively deterred termites  during a 6  month plus test in which
wood was wrapped in Static  Intercept and  buried in 3 different known
termite mounds in New  Orleans.  Reports on this will be published in
a peer review journal in the near future.  In short, Intercept
provides many layers and levels of protection with no risk of
contamination or reaction with the materials being stored inside.
More information can be found at www.InterceptTechnology.com

Keith Donaldson
Engineered Materials, Inc.

Phone:   +1-847-821-8280