From:
Carol Ely <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 13:20:16 -0400
My understanding is also that this is a historic house myth, of which
there are MANY, and they get repeated and repeated until it seems that
they MUST be true (after all, you've heard it everywhere!). Local laws
and statutes varied greatly; and taxes weren't necessary based on room
counts anyway. Something that might have been true ONCE for ONE township
in ONE state gets generalized to be true everywhere all the time.

So perhaps people just weren't in the habit of having closets
universally, any more than they were in the habit of having indoor
plumbing. There were perfectly adequate wardrobes and chests for clothes
storage, why go to the trouble of adding a tiny extra room to your
building plans?

Incidentally, my site, Historic Locust Grove in Louisville, Kentucky,
was built in 1790 and HAS CLOSETS.

Carol Ely
Executive Director
Historic Locust Grove, Inc

should

http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-
> faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands
by
> sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] .
The