From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:52:00 -0500
As usual, Jay Heuman has made suggestions based on calm appraisal of the
situation and advice how to mediate a difficult situation. On the other
hand, I was intrigued to see how many museum folk recommended an almost
arbitrary and authoritarian censorship of an author's work. That is a
serious question-how much control may a museum impose on an artist's vision,
particularly after the contract is signed?

What has lacked in the discussion thus far is a consideration of the
fundamental error that the museum made in contracting for this exhibit-not
contracting an exhibit based on a review of all materials beforehand. No
serious museum just agrees to an exhibit and them tries to "dig itself out
from a sticky situation." Agreement to what items constitute the exhibit
needed to have been negotiated out before an exhibition agreement was
signed. This would have raised the issue early on and in a very limited
scale. All affected parties could have laid out their needs and concerns and
in all likelihood a reasonably satisfactory solution could have been found.
This type of contract is very common in the movie industry. Major actors are
signed to a specific script of a movie not just the movie in general. Any
changes need to be renegotiated. I once had to cool my heels  with a 17th
century ship and a crew of ten for three weeks while Demi Moore and Disney
tried to renegotiate a single scene change.

Now there is a genuine mess. On one hand, you will have a deeply offended
segment of actual or potential supporters on the other hand you will have an
angry artist. In fact, if the offending objects are pulled from the exhibit
without the artist's permission, she/he could go to court suing for
compromising artistic vision. I don't think that this suit would prevail,
but it definitely would cause further dissension in the community. I am
familiar with one case (in the 1820's) when a sculptor successfully sued for
breach of contract over dispute in vision of the work.

In short, in my view, belatedly the museum is attempting to "put Humpty
Dumpty together again." If the original work on this exhibit was the result
of the Executive Director's efforts I would hope that the Board would have
some serious suggestions at the time of performance review. If this mess was
created by the curator then that person should be ready for an uncomfortable
performance review. In any case, the Board needs to have much better
policies for contracting exhibits in place. Due diligence saves one much
grief over time.
nburlakoff