From:
Eric Segal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:49:27 -0800
Hello,

I hope I am not repeating a recent inquiry with the following citation request.

For a course on the history and theory of museums, I am looking for
interesting articles dealing with museums -- art, history, natural history,
etc. -- and the internet. Rather than seeking essays concerned with
practical issues, I am looking for discussions of, for instance, the
ontological status of real and virtual objects or collections; the nature of
the museum "audience" or "visitor" in cyber space; the ideological
implications of the de-materialized authentic; etc. etc. etc. In other
words, can you suggest articles that are concerned with _theoretical_
questions of museums on/of/and the web?

As an example, one such paper (almost) is Andrea Witcomb, "The End of the
Mausoleum: Museums in the Age of Electronic Communication,"
www.archimuse.com/mw97/speak/witcomb.htm. However, this smart essay deals
less with the web and virtual museums than with electronic media in museums.
Meanwhile, I've been reviewing excellent cyberspace articles which do not
deal directly enough with museums.  Other obvious sources -- e.g. Mintz _The
Virtual and the Real_ -- are not available locally and are _still_ on order.
Thanks much for your suggestions.

-eric
Eric J. Segal
Adjunct Assistant Professor