From:
Holly Trimper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 1994 11:04:51 -0500
This point applies to both conversations regarding the dragging of heels by
museums to use the internet more and how email is changing how we tlak to
each other professionally and privately:

The increasing reliance on electronic media tends toward elitism.  What
audience are you reaching?  Those who have the resources (read $$) to have
the hardware and software to support virtual museums, huge art files, etc.
are few.  Sure, that population is growing, but the people most interested in
and most apt to use/purchase computers, modems, etc.  are the folks who are
most likely to attend museums anyway.  Schools usually don't have the
equipment to use mosaic, www, etc., and unless someone comes into the school
to train or demonstrate how to get to these resources, they will remain
unused.  Email is less snobbish, but you still need the computer and modem
and know-how, including netiquette (like don't quote a 40-line post and
follow up with "I agree!").

In short, let's not lose our heads over the *wonders* of internet.  We risk
snubbing a lot of people.