From:
Steve Henrikson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:15:36 -0900
In providing factual information about various pieces offered for sale, you
truly would be providing the kinds of information that curators provide to
the public on a regular basis. But this is short of becoming a personal art
advisor to selected individual collectors who might give something to the
museum eventually. Doing this properly would require lots of time and a more
intimate knowledge of the collector's holdings, their tastes, and collecting
goals.

Your director's plan may lead to some interesting and sticky problems for
you (but that's why you get the big bucks, right?). If you're advising a
group of people, are they expecting your advice to be exclusive...or will
you tell all the collectors to go for the same three pieces at Sothebys?
What happens if a piece you recommended ends up being a fake or stolen
property? What happens if you miss something and fail to recommend a
particular piece that becomes the hit of the auction? How will you handle
their demands for information about price, strategy, trades, and other areas
you don't want to get into? Too, the information that you provide could be
used later by the collector (or their dealer) to eventually sell or trade
the material.

I can see some value--to a point--in providing special access to people who
may become donors in the future....given than you can't be giving your time
away in return for a donation that may never come. There are a lot of people
out there that will take your assistance and just use it for their own
benefit. Also, your services are valuable, and if they eventually donate the
piece, the value of that service may have to be subtracted from the value of
the donation to establish their tax deduction. My experiences with
"cultivation" have had very mixed returns.

In your case, maybe your director would be satisfied with the following:
since you're probably reviewing auction offerings anyway, make a "top ten"
selection (based on provenance, style, authenticity, etc) and let your
potential patrons know your opinion. You could also answer their questions
about other pieces in the show that they might be interested in. I would
strictly refer their questions about value to an appraiser or dealer.

The collectors would likely appreciate knowing your opinion and getting some
attention. But you're really not doing much more for them than you would for
anyone else. I provide this kind of information to collectors, dealers,
members of the public, anyone...and I assume that the museum isn't getting
anything out of it other than meeting our mission to educate and disseminate
information. I often  get information and leads from them that helps in my
work. If a donation comes eventually because of it, all the better. All I
ask of them is that my information not be used for commercial purposes.

My humble thoughts, for what they might be worth.

Steve Henrikson
Curator of Collections
Alaska State Museum