From:
Alex Avdichuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 16:09:38 -0500
I beg to differ on the importance of graduate level training in Museum
Studies.  Exposing my bias, I have a Master's Degree in Museum Studies, and
I have worked with both fellow graduate degree holders and with those with
undergraduate / certificate training in Museum Studies.  And yes, I did do
some undergraduate work in Museum Studies as well.

Here in Canada, the undergraduate training that is available differs
greatly from the graduate degree programs.  The training I received at the
graduate level was took an in-depth approach to museum work that, in my
experience, is simply not available as a weekend course or a minor
specialization at the undergraduate level.  The ability to do intensive
research into museological issues benefits not only the student but the
profession as a whole.

At the risk of sounding elitist, having worked for superiors with
undergraduate or certificate training in Museum Studies, it became
immediately evident that the scope of my training was greater than theirs.
Having to advise one boss on basic museum ethics on several occasions was
an eye-opening experience to the deficiencies in SOME undergraduate
programs in Museum Studies in this country.  I'm not trying to suggest that
all graduate programs are superior to all undergraduate / certificate
programs, but there are differences, and all levels of training have their
merits.

While experience may be the greatest teacher, a simple scan of the want-ads
reveals the unfortunate fact that most museum jobs that pay a liveable wage
demand graduate work in Museum Studies.

Just my opinion, feel free to disagree with it.

Alex Avdichuk

My comments were not unlike Angela's.  I, too, wonder at the importance
of graduate work in museum studies.  I believe that learning museum work
is easier and can be done a lot faster than can subject area work so I
lean towards on the job training to get the museum background, coupled
with distance learning opportunities and week long or weekend seminars.
...My vote is for museum studies courses at the undergrad level,
perhaps, as Angela suggests, as a complement to an MBA program, and lots
of high level specific distance learning or short term seminar type
courses.
Good luck Jane and let us know what you decide and why.
Susan J. Wittrup
Volunteer Coordinator
Tate Geological Museum
Casper WY 82601