From:
HILDEGARD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 1995 19:39:33 -0400
In just reading Mario Rups comments on the Enola Gay decision,
I would agree with his views, and add, this whole "affair" has
given me great pause.

I am dismayed by the Smithsonian's Secretary's admissions of
poor judgement.  What I have done with this outcome is to
discuss the situation with the Museum Studies class which I
lead today.  I was leading a discussion on collections management,
encouraging discussion of the many implications behind accepting
a gift.  I then referenced the Enola Gay exhibition, by way of
stating that exhibition decisions, as well as acquistions, have
many a hidden agenda and/or complication.

A few of the students have been following the developments, but
for those who have not, the relations were most enlightening.
I suppose I was striving to introduce them to the fact that
exhibition selection, and interpretation, is not a matter of
mere aesthetics (this is an introductory class).  One never
knows where the inquisitors lie, but must be readied for their
questions while doing one's job...

My point being, whatever dismal outcome of this proposed exhibition,
it served in part as fodder for thought for the students I sat
with today.

Barbra Brady