From:
"Johan P. Erikson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 19:24:20 -0700
=46or all those also interested in Native peoples' museums,

I am attempting to compile some very specific, international and
transnational information about museums run by Native peoples in the
Western Hemisphere.  Perhaps some of you could help me out with
institutions that you have encountered or have heard about...or perhaps you
are interested in the results...

1.  NATIVE AMERICAN MUSEUMS OF 19TH AND EARLY 20TH CENTURY
In the course of my dissertation research, I have come across a few
tantalizing examples of tribal groups who attempted (some successfully,
some not) to establish their own museums, beginning as early as the early
19th century (Cherokee) and others at the turn of this century (Menominee,
Iroquois and so on).  Some were tribal initiatives and others were family
initiatives.  If you are aware of any documentation of institutional
initiatives such as these, successfully set up or not, I would love to hear
about it.

2.  INDIGENOUS-RUN MUSEUMS IN LATIN AMERICA
I am interested in identifying indigenous museo comunitario-type projects
that are already established or are being planned in Latin America (some of
which border on cultural center/library/language centers).  I am most
familiar with the network of them in the state of Oaxaca, Mexico which is
currently spreading to other states.  There is also an interesting one that
has recently opened in Acr=E9, Brazil.  Those of interest to me are the
outcome of grassroots movements and although they receive state or NGO
funding, are governed and run within rural indigenous pueblos or urban
communities by the indigenous people themselves.  I am particularly
intrigued by the transnational dimension of the exhibits, networking,
funding, and cultural representation of some of these institutions.

I would be most appreciative if anyone could direct my attention to
examples of either of the cases described above.  I am scratching the
surface of the international extent and transnational dimensions of
indigenous museums in my dissertation "Encounters in the Nation's Attic:
Native American Community Museum/Cultural Centers, the Smithsonian
Institution, and the Politics of Knowledge-Making," but I am interested in
pursuing a compilation of this further.

Looking forward to your thoughts,
Patricia Erikson

Patricia P. Erikson
Departments of Anthropology and Native American Studies
University of Cailfornia-Davis
Davis, CA  95616
(work) 916-752-0745
(home) 916-795-1216