From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 13:51:26 -0800
Ladies, isn't it wonderful we have this issue to
struggle with?  Back in the days before the bra was
burnt (or unburnt as the case may be), women with
children could not get hired.  There was no Family
Medical Leave Act to protect us if we or our children
needed care, and a woman who became pregnant either
didn't get hired and/or could be let go.  I once was
denied an earned promotion because my son was a baby,
in the hospital with pneumonia, and I took off 2 hours
a day for a week to be with him at the hospital.
We've come a long way, Baby!

Life is about choices as has been said.  To do more,
to delegate more, to do less, to have or not have
kids, to take or not take a job that has more demands
then you can do justice by.  Revisit the job
description, the boss (whomever that is and everyone
has one) and determine if the job that's required (or
not) is the one you were hired to do, or if has become
a behemoth since you accepted it.  Determine if the
stressors you are feeling are those of self-determined
obligation.  They can be because you don't want to
make yourself look bad, look less than Wonder Woman,
or you're so driven to promote/get a raise that you
want to be seen as capable of doing anything and
everything and now realize you can't.

You haven't said what's driving you.  Is it the work
place making these demands, or are you making them
upon yourself?  If it's the former, negotiate with
your management (and delegate as has been suggested).
If it's the latter, knock it off and be good to
yourself!

Here's the lecture I've given countless times to all
levels of management when it came to work-life
balance:

Each of us has our own level of "what's right" in the
work place (usually as it relates to overtime).  Only
you can decide what is right for you.  Know your
level, and then treat it like you would a governor on
your car (think cruise control).  There's a range that
is reasonable for you.  Set those limits, and hold to
them.  If you find you're being pushed beyond that
limit on a repeated basis, it's probably best to look
for a different job.

You MAY have to look for "less job satisfaction" at
this phase of life and forgo some things in order to
balance the other demands and desires in your life.
You may not be the world's best ED or be paid to your
maximum potential during this period of your life.
Look at it like house cleaning.  Your kids are only
young for a little while.  Blink your eyes, and
they're not going to need you as much.  You'll have
more time in a later phase of your life to be Wonder
Woman.  For now, you're fulfilling the obligations
that you chose.

Lord knows it's not easy making these decisions and
having to be assertive and set limits, but it does get
easier with practice.

Good luck, and God bless.

Indigo Nights