Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 2010 19:10:52 +0800
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free web compendium,
read weekly by 7,400 readers in more than 197 countries.

***   "I'm just always delighted with the content, and therefore save it for
my Friday lunch reading. I have learned much, enjoyed much, and continue to
do so. Thanks so very much for this wonderful addition to my week(s).By the
way - IMPOSSIBLE to choose a category of greatest use/interest"  - User
Feedback 2009 ***

The international headlines (FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBZINE at this
address  http://www.globalmuseum.org and click on the news links) in this
week's edition include:

**  Palaeontologists use rotting fish to reveal the secrets of our ancestors
Fish-like fossils from half a billion years ago are recognised as being part
of our evolutionary history because they possess characteristic anatomical
features, such as a tail, eyes and the precursor of a backbone

**  New light on Ancient Mariner
The man behind the Ancient Mariner, the unsettling character who holds a
wedding guest spellbound with his "glittering eye" in Samuel Taylor
Coleridge's poem, has been unearthed by a writer from Shropshire, England

**  Mengele's journal bought by Holocaust survivor's grandson
Jewish groups slam auctioning off of journal apparently written by
Auschwitz's 'Angel of Death', in which he wrote of genetic purity and
staining of superior bloodlines by 'morons' and 'idiots'

**  Native Americans First Tamed Turkeys 2,000 Years Ago
More than 1,500 years before Christopher Columbus and his crew sailed to the
New World, Native Americans had already domesticated turkeys twice: first in
south-central Mexico at around 800 B.C. and again in what is now the
south-western U.S. at about 200 B.C., according to a new study

****  HAPPY TRAVELLERS - BEST FARES & DEALS FOR 2010! ****
MUSEUM-TRAVELLER.COM  -  Global Museum's Travel Service For Business and
Pleasure - the  leading provider of online museum travel, established in
1998.
40,000 in over 8,000 cities worldwide. Group Reservations.   CLICK HERE
http://www.museum-traveller.com - Use IE browser
Airfares, Car Rentals, Accommodation, Destination Guides, Condo's and
Cruises!  Provider is a member of I.A.T.A.

**  Ancient croc kin likely food for largest ever snake
A 60-million-year-old croc kin was a likely food source for Titanoboa, the
largest snake the world has ever known

**  Int'l Civil Rights Museum Grand Opening
February 1, 2010 marked the 50th anniversary of the sit-in of four NC A&T
students. Ezell Blair, Jr., David Richmond, Joseph McNeil and Franklin
McCain sat at a segregated lunch counter at Woolworths in downtown
Greensboro

**  Early copy of the Gospel of Mark is a forgery
Although speculation as to the authenticity of the Archaic Mark codex has
been rife for more than 60 years, prior to this definitive research many
believed it was an early record (possibly as early as the 14th century) of
the Gospel of Mark and the closest of any extant manuscript to the world's
oldest Greek Bible-the fourth-century Codex Vaticanus

**  Could museum's gold be from ancient Troy?
The scientist had travelled from Germany to examine the ancient items that
lay before him on the University of Pennsylvania laboratory table, and he
was dazzled

ARE YOU ONE OF THE 453?
Join the Global Museum Social Network - Meet & Make Friends, Share Photos &
Videos, Blog, Use the Forum, Join A Group.
Become one of our first 500 members -  453 have already met online.  Join
Today At  http://globalmuseum.ning.com/

**  After the Putti, the Baby Calamari
After a morning of being guided through the paintings and sculptures of the
great masters, everyone would head for the basement cafeteria, where you
would stand in line, plastic trays in hand, waiting to be treated to a lunch
of rubbery chicken and gooey tapioca pudding

**  A WWII air hero enlivens Willow Grove museum
Not all of the relics are made of metal, however, and surely none is as
charming and beloved as Lap, who has lived the history the museum celebrates
and flown many of the planes on display

**  Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!
Abbaworld, scheduled to open in London, will offer 25 rooms and more than
30,000 square feet of Abba-related fare, chronicling the ascent of Bjorn
Ulvaeus, Anna-Frid Lyngstad, Benny Andersson and Agnetha Faltskog from their
teenage years to the present day

**  Ambassador or slave?
This appears to be the first time that a skeleton with an East Asian
ancestry has been discovered in the Roman Empire

**  Questions Over Fixing Torn Picasso
It can be found in a new, temporary home, the Met's conservation laboratory,
where experts there are trying to determine the best course of action for
this 105-year-old painting's brand-new feature: an irregular, six-inch tear
running vertically along the lower right-hand corner

TWEET TWEET - Follow Us On Twitter!   http://www.twitter.com/globalmuseum.
7,133 News tweets, 683 Followers worldwide and growing fast

**  Important new fossils found in Abu Dhabi
It should be noted that more sites were discovered, all belonging to a
period between six to eight million years ago, containing high-quality
fossils from the many types of animal that lived at that time, including
elephants, hippopotamuses, antelopes, giraffes, monkeys, rodents, large and
small carnivores, ostriches, turtles, crocodiles and fish

**  Museum digs up South Seas treasure
A lost collection of exotic artefacts from the Pacific expeditions of
Captain James Cook and the Scottish explorers who followed him to the South
Seas has been rediscovered

**  The Museum For The Study of Money
There is no better place than a bank to obtain information about money, and
now the Bank of Thailand has opened a museum to tell the history of Thai
banking and display a complete collection of Thai money through the ages

**  British Museum in battle with Iran over ancient 'charter of rights'
The discovery of fragments of ancient cuneiform tablets - hidden in a
British Museum storeroom since 1881 - has sparked a diplomatic row between
the UK and Iran

**  Experts may have found bones of English princess
An international team of scientists say they think they've found the body of
Princess Eadgyth (pronounced Edith) - a 10th-century noblewoman who has been
compared to Princess Diana

Become a FAN -  Join Us on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?

**  Top ten passions of Ancient Rome
By the time of the emperors, the Romans had created the world's first global
empire stretching from Morocco in the west to Iraq in the east, and from
Scotland in the north to Egypt in the south. See also Ancient Roman cuisine

**  Family con that fooled the art world
A talented forger who created fake masterpieces in his council home and then
sold them to museums and art collectors with the help of his elderly parents
is behind bars

**  Fear, Force, and Leather
"Fear, Force, and Leather: The Texas Prison System's First Hundred Years,
1848-1948" is a new online history exhibit from the Texas State Library and
Archives.

**  Museums Australia 2010 National Conference 28 Sep-2 Oct 2010
On behalf of the Program Committee of the 14th annual Museums Australia
National Conference, we invite you to submit an abstract in response to our
call for papers.

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, PODCASTS, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting their
RESUMES, FORUM, Cheap and reliable WORLD TRAVEL, the GM Social Network,
Museum Online Document Store, Podcasts, Museum Accredited Courses, Products
& Services.

http://www.globalmuseum.org     First published on the Web in 1998 and going
strong!

BLOG READERS  & MUSEUM WEB SITES - Use our  RSS news feed on your site, from
this address: http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/GM2/gm.xml