From:
Mark Rosenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 1994 07:06:01 -0500
I have to admit, I have not been following the internship discussion
too carefully. So, of course, last night I had dinner with a student
in the New York University Museum Studies program. She has a Ph.D.  in
wood chemistry (Which is how I originally got to talking to her. She
was the graduate student who did the analysis of the existing and
proposed replacement wood for the U.S.S. Constitution restoration in
the late 80's -- and since I'm interested in wooden ship conservation,
she is a great resource). She was a geology undergrad, and has also
done some work with textiles.

Museum Studies students at NYU have to do a semester internship, and
she says they are having a great deal of trouble placing her. (I guess
their typical student is interested in Art or Natural History, but not
the real scientific technical aspects). If anyone knows of an opportunity
(probably conservation, or analysis) in the New York City area, that
would both utilize her skills (the only person I know who can run an SEM),
and provide an opportunity for her to better understand what working in
a museum is like, please send me email: [log in to unmask]

Thanks for your consideration.

Mark.