From:
Shannon Lindridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2014 07:37:58 -0500
Kelsey--

You have received a lot of great advice from our knowledgeable group.  I would also recommend getting a few reference books to have on hand--I find them invaluable and I have been working in the museum field for 15 + yrs.

1.) The New Museum Registration Methods 5th edition
2.) Registration Methods for a Small Museum, by Daniel B. Reibel
3.) A Legal Primer on Managing Museum Collections, by Marie C. Malaro and Lldiko DeAngelis

Also, there are numerous online professional development classes available for collections management--some you can get grants for.

I work in NY and we have an organization called Museumwise, which has a variety of resources: classes, sample documents, a lending library.  There may be an organization like this in your state.  I have bookmarked many a site which offers free information or contacts related to collections management.

I also am dealing with a huge backlog and new donations--some days I feel like when the lights go off the collections multiply--just develop a system, stay consistent and keep plugging away--eventually you will get caught up and be able to find the items donated.

On another note--if you feel too overwhelmed with backlog and new donations, you can put in place a temporary moratorium on accepting new donations.  This can be very controversial, as some board members and museum members may think you will miss out on a donation.  I am of the belief you should be able to take care of what you have before accepting more.  We did a moratorium on donations at one museum I worked for, for about a year.  When people would call we would explain the situation and take all their information down and told them we would call them in "X" amount of time.  Most people were fine holding onto items a bit longer, others if HAD to get donate right away we would take it in.  I know not quite your question, but I got on a roll.

Good luck!

Shannon Lindridge, Registar