From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:58:45 -0600
Pamela,

Oh, what can we do about it I have often thought?  Where is that soap box?
Stand proud and support that war!  Support those higher gas prices, taxes and
hope and pray we have a retirement.

Wasn't it Margaret Mead who said:

    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens
    can change the world.  Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."

Each of us are so bogged down with our own personal agenda and what we
call life, we think change is impossible.  We are in the mind-set that "I, me alone....
a single person and individual can do nothing to "change (this) world."

Side note: Museums are on the front of bringing forth new thoughts, and are centers,
forums of thought to educate the public.  Maybe, this should be an
an approach to exhibits, outreach programs, instead of belly-aching about
the system *- do something about it.  Get out into the forums of life * and
change that system.

Yes, jobs are VERY difficult to find in any field at one point or another, and my
recommendations, as discussed by others, is to be as diversified as you
can be.  VOLUNTEER!  Take those additional courses, seminars and network!
Yes, Network * and don't forget *- to network.

Seek new challenges * GO WHERE NO MAN or WOMAN (or puppy with a
cute wet nose) has not gone before!   SEEK that DREAM!  Take the RISK!
DO it! Use that gray matter and be inventive!  Work that resume to its
peak!  Climb every mountain, and seek ever means possible to reach
your highest potential!  Be all that you gotta' be!  And don't be to PROUD
to climb in a few ditches once in a while.

During my life, I've packed dresses for $1.15 an hour, worked as a bar tender,
drove a truck, worked in a warehouse, served in the military for a war that
killed many of my friends in rice patties I did not support, worked for large
companies (thinking there was security) and then "downsized."  I sought
higher education, though *- kept my chin up!  I volunteered at National
Sites, became involved in fund-raising, worked special events, took seminars
on volunteerism, grant writing, public relations.   And when job changes
were facing me * I took it with stride.  Jumped the walls, and sometimes
even took jobs I did not like.

There are so many possibilities for those who want to work in museums......
by building yourself up to your highest peak, you can fluctuate when bad times
come, and position yourself to fit into a new job or a different challenge in life.

What I like about museum work is the difference in career fields.  What other
field offers this.  If you are in medical..that is about what your life is going to
be.  If you drive a truck, that is what it is going to be, or work in construction,
serve bagels with cream cheese or flip burgers at McD's.   But, but...and more
but.....if you work in the museum field.....you can work with exhibits, build
an educational program that brings life and a smile to a young child.  You can
feed fish, deer or a rare species of life in a zoo.  You can watch the birth
of a small polar bear.  You can dig up an ancient form of life, and work with
people of different cultures.  You can travel the world.   You can have satisfaction
that you gave someone a new subject to think about.   You can direct a museum,
serve on a committee, network with city, state and federal officials.  You can
work with computers, database systems or sound amplification in an IMAC show.
You can lead tours, work with volunteers, work with disabled people.  You can
build outreach programs.   You can raise money for a $1,000 traveling trunk
program or millions of dollars for a new high tech museum.

That is why it is so important to develop "more than one career" in museum
work * or any job, as suggested by others in this group.  It is a tough field,
but we like to do it.   We enjoy our work.  The benefit are low, but there is
a sense of satisfaction you cannot get working other jobs.

I've worked with many great people...and if you have problems * seek a
center of friends that can advise and help you.  Obtain a GREAT group of
professional people who can be your line of reference.  KNOW what they
are going to say about you.  Let them KNOW about what you can offer
a potential employer.  Have people who represent you as a reference to
be positive about YOU!  They need to be people who SELL YOU! I've seen
and heard of many references who do not know what a person can
offer an employee.  Provide them updates, talk with your reference and
notify them of the jobs you are applying for.

Again, "a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the
world...."  With your volunteering, networking, your updated and always
increasing skills, and your drive to get the job you want.  YOU WILL!  Stick
the course.

OH, and learn how to save your money * so you can retire early!  And visit
all those museums out there in the world!

My best,

John
Boise, ID

Oh dear, Pamela. You anticipate older baby boomers on the brink of
retirement to move out of their jobs? They, but obviously not you, are all
too keenly aware that Social Security moves further and further from their
grasp, now requiring people to work until they are nearly 70. When Social
Security does kick in, the payment does not begin to  <snip>