From:
Timothy Kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 00:28:38 -0400
        Not to be picky but I honestly don't understand the choice of words,
or concepts, as indicated < > below.

At 09:09 PM 4/10/1998 +0200, you wrote:
>the problem <problem?> seem to be that architects want to state a point
<why not? don't we all?>, feel
>themselves as artists rather than servants to the public.

        Architects are artists, AND public servants, AND engineers

>The problem <problem?> is that the work of an artist enjoys or annoys
future generation
>whcih just have to live with <have to live with?> their pieces of art.
Thats the difference to
>paintings, sculptures or theatre plays: they vanish <do they?  Like all the
stuff from Rome and Greece and Ancient Asia, etc.>, they are enjoyed only
>by the chosen <chosen?> few.

>My advice: If you have to create a building intended for human use, do not
>choose an architect who feels that he is an artist in the fist place. Choose
>an engineer, a humble architect <an engineer is an engineer, an architect
is an architect -- it is nice when an engineer has an architecural
sensibility, but engineers are not experienced in designing for aesthetics.
Do you want a box?>  and spend a lot of time with them, looking
>at their previous buildings, but also talking to the people living in their
>previous buildings, not just listening to the sermons of artistic
>architects <speaking of theatrics...>.
>
>Let them design temples, churches and empty monuments, <are you saying
temples and churches are empty monuments?  Seems to me they are the pinnacle
of a culture's worldly manifestations.> but never functional
>houses where human beings will live for centuries. <architects and
engineers have only existed as seperate professions basically only in the
20th century>

        No offense is intended by my comments.  I'm learning alot from
everyone else's.  I think definitions of architect, engineer, and
architecture are needed.  I'll work on it as I have time.

        Does anyone know much about museum planning consulting? What
schooling or credentials are needed?  I'm interested in knowing more about
this. Email me direct if you don't want to go on list.  Thanks

        Timothy Kane