Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2011 09:04:27 +1200
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free web compendium,
read weekly by 8,000 readers in more than 201 countries.

***   "I love reading Global Museum. I look forward to the articles every
week. The information keeps me informed about what is going on in the museum
community and urges me to explore museums and exhibits online that I may
have never known about. Thanks!"  - User Feedback   ***

The international headlines (FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBZINE at this
address  http://www.globalmuseum.org  and click on the news links) in this
week's edition include:

**  The hunt for the best British museum
We have travelled from Ayrshire to Llandudno, from London to Manchester,
from York to Bath, and various places in between

**  Fan to build memorial museum in Agra
The city of the Taj Mahal will host a museum to Maqbool Fida Husain's art
works and mementoes related to him, thanks to a Mumbai-based business tycoon
hailing from this city

**  Gun museum gets pistol with a history
Killed in World War II, Army Capt. Robert McHolland couldn't keep the
promise he made to a Claremore hotelier in 1944

****  Global Museum's Annual Donation Appeal ****
We support170,000 Museum Professionals and Followers in 201 countries and
receive no grant or government support from any source.
As one of the very few truly independent news and service providers for the
profession and those with an interest in museums, we help cover our
operating costs through donations. My thanks to those people who have
already made a small contribution -  much appreciated!
So I invite you to make a donation to keep Global Museum 'alive and kicking'
for a further year.
Click
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=FYCUNTUS7PT3N
to learn more and support the site.

**  Blackbeard artifacts exhibit opens at NC museum
The largest exhibit ever of artifacts from what's believed to be the remains
of Blackbeard's flagship is opening at the North Carolina Maritime Museum,
with bells, cannon, lead shot and part of the hull among the items on
display

**  Riverside Museum of Transport and Travel, Glasgow - review
There is a zone of Glasgow so studded with culture and architecture, so
richly fertilised with public investment, while also blessed by nature with
the noble breadth of the Clyde, that it ought to be a wonder of the world

**  The First Lady, fine arts and fleshiness
Last month, the First Lady together with the Association of Art Museums
launched an anti-obesity program to "provide opportunities for millions of
museum visitors to learn about healthy foods and to promote physical
activity through interactive exhibits."

**  Clay is the king at Denver Art Museum
For thousands of years, virtually every culture in the world has used the
ubiquitous earthly element to shape everything from pots and jars to sacred
figures and animals

ARE YOU ONE OF THE 685?
Join the Global Museum Social Network - Meet & Make Friends, Share Photos &
Videos, Blog, Use the Forum, Join A Group.
Become one of our first 700 members -  685 have already met online.  Join
Today At  http://globalmuseum.ning.com

**  Local run museums in UK cut paid staff by 10%
Museums run by local councils have cut the number of paid staff by 10% or
more compared with last year, according to a survey seen by the BBC

**  Get a rare look at museum's treasure trove of antiques
If Holly Radke had her way, everything would either be protected by
Plexiglas or stored in an acid-free box wrapped in acid-free tissue paper on
top of a layer of Styrofoam

**  New sensor network protecting art in NY museum
It will take a good eye to spot them, but dozens of tiny, very modern works
of art have been installed near the 15th-century unicorn tapestries and
other medieval masterpieces at a New York City museum

**  Koreans celebrate return of looted books by France
South Korea has celebrated the return of ancient Korean royal books from
France with a procession, traditional ceremonies and performances that
involved more than 1,000 officials and local residents

TWEET TWEET - Follow Us On Twitter!   http://www.twitter.com/globalmuseum
42,832 News Tweets, 1,768 Followers worldwide and growing fast

**  Rare Scott artefacts reunited after 100 years
After nearly 100 years, artefacts and scientific specimens from Scott's last
Antarctic expedition, such as his Royal Navy uniform and a pair of Adélie
penguins, were reunited on Scott's birthday

**  Illegal mosaic draws crowd, but sparks debate about graffiti versus art
The artwork featuring the Virgin of Guadalupe riding a surfboard was put up
under a train bridge shortly before Easter by artists disguised as
construction workers, according to witnesses

**  Museum for Red Army's Slogans Opens
Experts believe that many of the slogans were written by Mao Zedong, and
were written about politics, military and economic policies at the time

**  Hungarian natural history under threat
The Hungarian government plans to turn the historic Budapest building given
to the museum after the fall of communism in 1989 into a university to train
the military or the police

Become a FAN -  Join 1,112 of  us who Like Global Museum on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?

**  Spooked hayride horse injures three at museum
Police said Mr. Jones was walking alongside the two horses pulling a wagon,
guiding them, when one horse bolted and knocked him down

**  Banana b*ggery raises eyebrows in Venice
Archduchess Francesca von Habsburg's Thyssen-Bornemizsa Art Contemporary
foundation paid for the Austrian performance artists calling themselves
Gelitin to be at the Venice Biennale on its opening days when all the art
world was there

**  Archaeology dating technique uncovers 'property boom' of 3700 BC
A new scientific dating technique has revealed there was a building spree
more than 5,500 years ago, when many of the most spectacular monuments in
the English landscape, such as Maiden Castle in Dorset and Windmill Hill in
Wiltshire, were built, used and abandoned in a single lifetime

**  Abby Potter on Vivienne Westwood Shoes at the Bowes Museum
Affectionately nicknamed the Guinness Shoe by team Bowes, it's a design from
the 2005 spring/summer collection, Ultra Femininity, as well as the
Coca-Cola Shoe and the Heineken Shoe

@@@@  The Global Museum Daily Tweet. Global Museum's DAILY NEWSPAPER powered
by your museum tweets - Enjoy! http://paper.li/globalmuseum/1288898965

**  Bin Laden's death boosts Navy SEAL museum
The May 2 killing of Osama bin Laden at the hands of SEALs has brought a
spike in visitors to the National Navy UDT-SEAL Museum, seeking a
behind-the-scenes glimpse of how the mission was pulled off

**  Disputed Frida Kahlo archive may be authentic
The charges were made by a dozen American and Mexican art dealers, critics
and historians, all of whom share a vested interest in Kahlo's robust market
and the publishing business around it

**  Reflections - The Contemporary Art of Curaçao
August 19 - October 1, 2011

**  Reclaiming Identity: Dismantling Arab Stereotypes
Where did stereotypes about Arab Americans originate? What effects do they
have on us as individuals and as a nation? How can they be defused?

**  The Brooklands Double Twelve Motorsport Festival
18th & 19th June

**  Book Review - Behind the Colonnade: Thirty-Seven Years At The British
Museum
On one of my recent visits to London coincided with a late autumn flurry of
snow which sent the squirrels and I scurrying for shelter

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, PODCASTS, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting their
RESUMES, FORUM, Cheap and reliable WORLD TRAVEL, the GM Social Network,
Museum Online Document Store, Podcasts, Museum Accredited Courses, Products
& Services.

http://www.globalmuseum.org     First published on the Web in 1998 and going
strong!

BLOG READERS  & MUSEUM WEB SITES - Use our  RSS news feed on your site, from
this address: http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/GM2/gm.xml