From:
Holly Trimper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 1995 21:04:35 -0500
Salutations everyone.  I thought I'd give everyone out here a little update
as to how/where the directory stands after the first week of data-gathering.

The directory stands at 36K, or about 10 pages printed out.  If I may be
unprofessional here for a moment, we have a neat group of people out here!

For those who have not heard, basically what I am doing is gathering a
"directory" of museum-L participants in order to find out how many of us are
curators, registrars, students, professors, etc. as well as how many of us
work in history museums, natural history museums, etc.  This is not a "Who's
Who in Museums", just a directory of who all is out here on museum-L.  The
final version should be ready to distribute sometime in March.

Generally the type of info I am getting from people includes their names,
position titles, institutions, email addresses, and sometimes fax and phone
numbers.  If you would like to be added to the directory (which I'm beginning
to think is a misnomer of sorts), please email me directly so that the rest
of the list doesn't have to go as cross-eyed as I reading everyone's info (my
email address follows at the end).

I will stop gathering info on 17 February 1995.  If you have not replied to
me directly but HAVE POSTED TO THE LIST by this date, you will have been
added to the directory.  If you do NOT wish to be in the directory, email me
direct to tell me this.

I am not sure of the final format of the directory (i.e. how it will be
distributed) but will figure that out as I go along.

The response has been extremely encouraging.  I've tried to personally (via
email of course) thank everyone who has emailed me directly, and thanks to
those who have not contacted me but have posted to museum-L.  I think the
final product will be useful and valuable at best and interesting at least.
 As someone said, communicativity is a great thing.

Thanks for your support,
Holly Trimper
Graduate Student, Museum Studies
U of Nebraska-Lincoln