From:
Heidi Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 06:27:30 PST
I tend to agree, depending on where you live, you may not need a car.  I
grew up in a rural town.  There, we needed a car -- the closest neighbor
was a 1/2 mile, the closest grocery store was 3 miles, the hospital was
15 miles.  There was absolutely no public transportation, no sidewalks,
just miles of narrow, windy, dangerous country roads.  When I got
married, I moved to the city.  My husband drove to work - there were not
busses that went from d I walked, rode my bicycle, or rode the bus to
work.  We could easily have gotten along with only one car, and we
probably could have gotten by with no cars.  I have cousins that live in
the same city and don't have a car.  They both work close to home and
walk to work.  They even survived getting to the hospital while in or
having thier first baby.  They had a sled and he was prepared to pull
her through the snow on it all the way to the emergency room.  So, in
some places, you can get away without having a car.  You will need to
alter your life style and make changes -- live close to work or live on
or near the bus line.  But it is possible.  And, look at how much money
you save on car payments, repairs, maintenance, and insurance, and how
skinny and in-shape you would be walking everywhere.  It really isn't
all that bad.