From:
"R.B. Wilkins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 1996 01:42:12 -0700
> Would anyone like to open a discussion about the rapid growth of museum
> websites? Perhaps those who are developing material for home pages etc as
> well as other museum workers or devotees might like to discuss this question
> re  purpose/rationale.  I think it would be particularly interesting to
> debate what is the main consideration in deciding to prepare programs for
> the Internet - public access?  museum profile? publicity?  education?

I am one of those people that is developing material for home pages.
I've had my hand at a couple of museum sites (small as they are).
My main interest is in digitally distributed information. I believe that
information should be available to everyone who is interested in learning.
I have only seen a few programs developed specifically for the internet
(Library of Congress, Northlight Gallery). I covered the Library of
Congress' exhibition of "Women Come to the Front. Journalists, Photographers,
and Broadcasters" for a museum report (got an A) this past semester.

http://lcweb.loc.gov/exhibits/wcf/wcf0001.html

I definately appreciate the public access aspect of museums being on-line.
It makes my research much easier and I am able to review exhibits and
information to which I would not normally have access. Plus, hyperlinking
makes checking resource material much less painful. This is only my
view as a student.

As a professional web designer, I would consider what the goals of the
museum itself were. If you want to educate the surfer that may stop by
your site, I would ask if you have relavent material to actually create the
content of educational web pages. If you just want to have a page that
announces your museum profile, I feel that the site would be just as
relavent. I would probably push you to include more information such as
a basic overview of your collection for research purposes. Basically, you
get to create your own character for the web audience. One feature that
I did like about the Met site was that the Giftshop was online and I could
request a catalog from them. I was also GREATLY disappointed that MOMA did
not have this feature (I've been looking for something that only they
could provide).

All of these ideas that I have are about to be tested out when the team
that I work with attempts to create a Virtual Science Museum with interactive
exhibits. It should be a challenge.

If you have any questions or suggestions feel free to contact me.

R.B. Wilkins

                                     O-