From:
Rebecca Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 1996 23:04:06 -0700
I wanted to share this information with the list about a conservation
issue with a work of art on paper.  I DID call a conservator first! A
recent donation of a silkscreen print came into the museum with 2 blobs of
'I Can't Believe It's Not Butter' (tub) on the image, much to the chagrin
of the donor.  They had very carefully wrapped the print on the kitchen
table before coming to the museum. I called a local paper conservator,
who said that this is most likely not treatable (grease on paper).
Because the paper is a very thick rag, the grease of the butter (NOT)
would probably require water in addition to solvents to treat.
Unfortunately, these types of inks are water soluable...

So we will live with the stains, and isolate the print from
others in the collection.

Rebecca Andrews
Collections Manager, Ethnology
Burke Museum