From:
"Susan M. Ward" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 08:37:17 EDT
>>Arlyn Danielson  wrote:
It would not be accurate to characterize Mount Vernon, Monticello, or
Louisiana plantation homes as merely an historical "experience."  I
understand what you mean by that, however, these are actual homes with
genuine artifacts in them.  They are part of real history.  By visiting one
of these places, you will definitely get a feel of what it was like to live
in the featured time period of the property, and a better appreciation of
history and historical contexts.  Mere "experiences" (something more fun
focused than anything else in my opinion) include Disneyland, the
Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii, and the like.<<

I admit I missed the beginning of this thread, but I contend that it's a
positive attribute when museums focus on the "experience." The dictionary says
an experience is "observing, encountering, or undergoing events," and "the
knowledge or practical wisdom gained from this process."  What more could any
museum wish for?!   (And what's wrong with having "fun" in a museum anyway?)
:-)

Museums that consider the visitor "experience" tend to have a broader view of
what happens when a visitor is on site.  They look at the visitor "package" of
parking, hospitality, signage, exhibits, programs, rest rooms, and opportunities
for social interaction, as all being integral parts of the complete visit.

The one thing that *everyone* takes away with them from a museum visit is "an
experience."  Just think what visitors would say if museums gave everyone
"merely" a superb experience!   :-)

Susan M. Ward
Heritage Communications
615-661-6336 phone, 615-371-8774 fax