From:
"Michael A. Lord" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 21:26:21 -0500
Mr. Rebernik and Ms. Thomson should further define what type of museum is
best for showing "the real thing" to the public.  Living history museums and
many historic sites are not Art Museums.  They are, if you will, Artifact
Museums.  While I would not want to visit the Museum of Modern Art and see a
"fake" (not my word) de Kooning, I have little interest in visiting Colonial
Williamsburg to see "real" Wedgewood.  Frankly, the original textiles,
ceramics and metalware from 18th century Virginia are often threadbare,
chipped or rusted.  When a museum attempts to create a time and place for
visitors, the old or worn original objects look out of place.  Think about
it, 200 year old objects would be new 200 years ago.  Reproductions have
their place in the museum world when the museum in question is designed to
educate through demonstration.
--
Michael A. Lord