From:
Jane Glaser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 1995 10:40:39 EST
Byron...The standards and curriculum that were written by the AAM Museum
Studies Comm. were based on exactly the core curriculum you are talking
about...with the additional strong advice to continue the study of a
discipline.  This is why many museum studies programs offer a masters
in a discipline with a certificate in museum studies. I'm not
advocating that necessarily, but it is one route to go to enter the
museum field. Some, of course, offer a masters in museum studies, and
others encourage a double masters (one in a discipline as well). Some are
encouraging those who go after a PhD in a discipline to become curators
to also enroll in basic museum courses (to avoid trial and error on-the-job
training).

I still maintain it is difficult to have a certification process for
individuals in general museum practices. Does that qualify them to
be curators, educators, registrars, exhibition designers, etc. without
further education or testing procedures? Canada tried exams, and it didn't
work. The U. of Leicestershire in the U.K. offers a doctorate in museum
studies...then what? The only graduate I know,Lynne Teather, is head of
museum studies at the U. of Toronto. She is a fine, intelligent person, and
I would ask her what she feels qualified to do in a museum. She is
directing an excellent program. Also, most countries outside the U.S.
recognize museology as a discipline, and in turn, accept the fact that
there is indeed a museum"profession." We, in the U.S. continue to
debate the issue.

New titles in the field are not necessarliy a bad thing if related to
the new technologies, for instance, such as information managers,
media managers, etc.  I have 30 professional positions described
in my book, along with support positions. The museum field must be willing
to make changes along with societal changes that affect them without
abdicating their basic responsibilities, ethics, and integrity. Sorry
we can't discuss these issues face to face...they are ones I feel quite
strongly about. Incidentally, I feel the DIRECTOR of a museum should be
from the discipline of that museum, with the business or financial
person as second in command (another continuing debate).