From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 16:20:31 -0500
Dear fellow listers -

Our museum will be putting up a major exhibition of regional historic and
contemporary pottery this coming fall. Some of the pieces will, of
necessity, be displayed in freestanding vitrines - plywood bases with
plexiglass cubes over top. Our concern is that people have been known to
knock into these cases, sometimes knocking over or displacing objects
inside them. We will be putting weights into the bases of the cases, but I
would like any recommendations you may have for stabilizing the pieces
inside them, especially ones which are fragile or have friable surfaces. In
the case of sturdy, stable pots, what is your opinion on the advisability
of putting a conformable weight, such as a zipper bag full of shot, inside
the pot?

Many thanks for any advice you can give or resources you suggest I consult.
Anne
Anne T. Lane, Collections Assistant
Museum of York County
4621 Mount Gallant Road,