Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 15:35:26 +0000
Dear List

I am one of a number of volunteer guides with the Hunt Museum in
Limerick, Ireland.  We have the rather grandiose title of ‘Docents’.
Our function is to take groups or individuals on a tour of the museum
and to explain the function, importance and artistic merit of the
artifacts.  Training consists of weekly lectures by experts in various
fields from Ireland and the UK.  In addition, each docent is expected
to research a particular item in the museum annually.

I would be interested to hear from any other museum that has a
similar system in operation, with a view to comparing notes.

The museum has a web page at:

http://www.ul.ie/~hunt/

Now to the query.
I researched a Berlin Iron Tiara (picture in the web pages) last year.
 It is made from about 50 pieces of cast iron which have been ‘stuck’
together.  Microscopic examination shows tiny weld marks.  Does
anybody know what type of welding procedures were in use in the early
1800’s?  Any references would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Shae Clancy