From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2001 20:30:17 -0700
First off, congratulations and hugs to Adrienne.  I
remember your struggles, and it's wonderful to
celebrate your success!

Some of you may wonder where my interviewing advice
comes from.  Remember those classes I suggested to
you?  I've taken them, and, in some facets, done
repeats to make sure I was ready.  A year and a half
ago, I left a job of 24 years.  While it's scary to
make such changes, some of the things I did in advance
(aggregating employment links, working on my education
and leadership skills, and preparing for the
interviewing game) helped me to alleviate some of my
fears in this regard.

When Adrienne says listen, that brings up a point from
the classes I took.  When you are asked a question,
don't just blurt out the answer.  Think about what you
were asked, and, if you're not sure, rephrase the
question and ask your interviewer for validation as to
is that the question they actually want an answer to.

Interviewing is usually not a timed test.  While all
of you involved (you, the interviewer, the back-up
person they probably brought along to validate the
decision) want to get out of there as soon as
possible, don't sell yourself short.

This is YOUR moment to sell yourself.  Stop, think,
and choose your answers carefully, but thoughtfully,
without a hesistation that connotes you really don't
know the answer.

As with any other invitation to avail yourself of
someone else's time, don't forget the all-important
thank you note at the end.  It can be email, but snail
mail often gives a better appearance.  You may wish to
have it already written out except for the name(s),
and drop it in a nearby mailbox as you are leaving the
facility.

I hope these pointers help.

--- Adrienne Roberts <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The museum/organisation
> is not out to see you fail...they want you to
> succeed obviously.
> sometimes i've met people who see this as a battle!
> try and enjoy it,
> relax and most importantly, as already stated,
> listen.  if you get
> nervous, just remeber that you obviously had
> something that got their eye
> from your resume

=====
Indigo Nights