From:
"Steven R. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 1994 09:02:07 -0400
Dear Prof. Teather,

I believe the cite you are looking for is:

     Schroeder, Fred.
       "Designing Your Exhibits: Seven Ways To Look At An Artifact,"
     American Association for State and Local History Technical Leaflet
     91, Vol. 31, No. 11, 11/1976.

I have seen references to this piece in a number of places.  It is really
quite a useful way to think about teaching with objects and I think it is
a minot classic in this field.

Briefly, the seven ways he outlines are:

1) Reading with your hands.
2) How was it used?
3) What was its environment?
4) Development through time.
5) Cross-Cultural comparisons.
6) Noting the "influences."
7) Functional meanings or values.

They are in ascending order of complexity and, although he provides brief
descriptions, he does manage to flesh them out pretty thoroughly.  It also
provides a great ready-made exercise for students.  In an exhibit design
course I took, we were all assigned a single object and asked to design
different exhibits for that object using Schoeder's principles.  It was
very instructive.

With every good wish,

Steven

Steven R. Smith
Art Collection                                      Tel: (617)495-3150
Harvard Law School                                  FAX: (617)495-4449
Cambridge, MA  02138                  E-mail: [log in to unmask]