From:
Tracie Kay Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 17:13:39 -0600
Jessica-
Since I arrived at my current position, my number one priority has been
to deal with the massive collection's problems here at the site.  It's
not so much as a backlog as several untrained peoples work who although
well meaning has made this site a mess.  We have over 50,000 objects and
more have no accession numbers, were brought in in the 1960s and 1970s,
have no documentation, and are in poor storage facilities.  When I came
here I was asked to come up with a plan of action.  The first thing I
did was evaluate what we needed to do specifically for each storage room
and object, from there I decided what I though was a priority to do for
each object.  In this case we decided that a expanded inventory would
work.  With the approval of the Division's Collections Committee, I have
begun a process that renumbers each object, takes a basic inventory,
labels each location, cleans the objects, updates there storage
locations and entered the objects in our computer database.
 Additionally, I make notes on the condition of the objects, the
possible need for conservation, and if the objects MAY be a candidate
for deaccession.

After devising the plan, I broke the complete plan down into smaller
more managable segments, created a "working" timeline (it was not set in
stone) and a projected the financial costs associated with this work.
 Then I selected a test area.  One were we could see if the plan worked
and how long it really would take.  I found the I had underestimated the
work by 1/2 and have adjusted all the future work.  Each quarter when I
review my work plan I also review the collections plan to make
adjustments usually due to weather since most of the spaces are not
heated or air conditioned.
I also drew myself a map of each area that I was working in so that I
could track where I was at any one time.  I also created myself a work
cart that had everything I needed on it to complete the work, this has
been a great help because I don't have to keep running back to the
office for something.  This may not be necessary if your work space can
be right at your office.

I would be happy to send you my initial project proposal and the latest
update if you would like to see them.  As well as any of my other
paperwork.  If you would like anything let me know.

Oh, yes, I would agree with the other person who suggested that make
sure you stay on top of your current work and have some way to track
where you are because you may want to work consistantly on this backlog
but current work does sometimes get into the way.

Good Luck
Tracie