From:
Richard Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 1994 13:31:55 -0700
        After working for museums of all kinds for nearly fifteen years,
I, for one, think Jim Swanson's right.  The research literature supports this,
as well.  Therefore, don't just talk to those who visit your museums to
measure their centrality and value to the larger community; talk to those
who _DON'T_ visit -- this is a much larger number!  To most people (Americans,
anyway, although Pierre Bourdieu provides similar research for European art
museums' audiences) our museums are not the first place that most people
think of for filling their leisure time, or even for getting information.
We are beat out by television, malls, libraries, schools and a host of other
social sites.  Overall, museums are highly respected as sources of
information and enlightenment, but they are marginalized whenever questions
of allocations of resources (time or money -- either personal, corporate or
governmental) come into question.

        I do believe that there are immediate benefits for audience
members and the larger community by our programs, and there are longterm
benefits in the collections created and managed for future reference.
I am, however, highly dubious of any claim of public recognition of museums
as important.  Sorry, Teresa E. -- I choose to work in museums only because
it's what my hand turns to, and it's because of the programs and the people
that I appreciate; but I don't expect to get the applause of my neighbors
and other taxpayers because I'm serving the larger good in such an important
way!