From:
Bernard Picton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 1995 15:24:44 +0000
Hi Daniel,

I am a new subscriber to Museum-l list, and I expect the list owner should
respond to you. This is just another message to tell you you mailed all the
people on the museum-l list asking to join up. You should get "A biologist's
guide to the internet", by FTP or Gopher. I find gopher the easiest.
Basically each list has two addresses, the one you mail if you want to
message everyone on the list (museum-l@....) and the one that controls
subsriptions to the list (a computer program, eg. listserv@.... or
listproc@... or mailbase@....).

If you gopher to sunsite.unc.edu then choose :Worlds of SunSite - by subject
    Then Ecology and Evolution. You'll see A Biologist's guide ...

You want : A Biologist's Guide (in a choice of formats)
        Also get the file NEW: Mailing lists (1.8a)

I have a nice windows gopher client WSGopher, which is freely available
somewhere on the net, but you should have some sort of gopher client
available to you.

In short, to join the museum-l list send to:

a message with no subject, no signature and with :

subscribe museum-l Daniel Casciano

(And as it's a computer program watch your typing, you sent:

"subscribe museum-lDaniel A. Casciano"

note the lack of a space ! )

as the body of the message, and no signature file.

Bernard

PS. If you use a mailer that takes attached files (like Eudora) then mail me
back and I'll send you a copy of the Biologist's guide, nicely formatted.
You'd need to tell me what word processor you use as well!

    Bernard E. Picton,
    Environmental Sciences Unit,
    Trinity College,
    Dublin 2,
    IRELAND.
    Phone: Int + 353-1-608-2055   Irish: 01 608-2055
    Fax:   Int + 353-1-6718047   Irish: 01 6718047
    E-mail: [log in to unmask]

    "The beginning of wisdom is calling things by their right names."
(Chinese proverb)