From:
Matthew A White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 1994 22:35:19 -0500
Lauren Lantos wrote:

>Over the next two decades, Suffolk County hopes to add other structures
>significant in Long Island's motor history forming a complete museum of
>roadside culture. Some candidates include: a gas station, a tourist cabin,
>and a diner to serve as the museum restaurant.

and Carolyn Brady mentions:
 > Big Ducks aside, preservationists are now getting into documenting the
>early structures of American highway that reflect the rise of the >automobile.
 A friend of mine here in the IUPUI public history program just >finished a cont
ext report on early 20th century Indiana structures such as >gas stations, motel
s and so forth as well as parking garages and "auto >laundries."

This brings up a question I have always wondered about.  Where are all the old B
urma-Shave signs?  Did anyone save some? Compile Some? Anthologize Some?  I'd pa
id cash money for a book/Museum visit to read them all.

Matthew A White
Director of Education
Baltimore Museum of Industry
(410)727-4808
History, noun- An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are
brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools.
                                    -Ambrose Bierce