From:
Ginny Cass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 17:19:05 -0800
Timothy K Winkle wrote:

> I am currently working on a project involving
> museum hoaxes (intentional or unrecognized) and the continued display of
> hoax objects in museums.  I am interested in input from any and everyone
> on this topic

How about the ubiquitous and infamous "jackalope" (cross between a jack
rabbit and an antelope)?  I have seen these stuffed and mounted all over
the west though I couldn't say for sure that I have seen it in a
museum.  There are similar mounts of trout if I'm not mistaken.  Of
course these are meant to be jokes at the expense of the eastern dude,
but they have become part of the lore of the west.

Did you hear the one about the wilderness guide who...?

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

Ginny Cass
Member, Board of Directors
Northern Rockies Heritage Center