From:
Judith Siers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 07:37:00 PST
First time message sender, so I hope I send this correctly!. We have the
opportunity to open a small cottage architectually important to the area,
and in the arts and crafts period. The family of craftsmen have lived and
worked in the region, and one in the house for three generations. The
current owner now 95, would like to see a museum, in a home and garden
style, established when he vacates the property. One decendant still works
and sells from the property, so it would also be a living museum of the
craftsman and family style. This architect is a important figure in the art
and crafts movement here.

An approach to our local authority, stating significance etc has been made.
They are very keen, but I would love to hear some suggestions on structure
of management for this type of museum. Owned by the Council, but perhaps run
by a society?.

Any one have experience or positive negative advice. It is these important
first steps which will affect the potential of the place for long term. Any
suggestions or experience on ownership, governance, there have been few
exmples of success here in this particular area. Is it a good idea?. Any
references to any other initiatives in this area would be appreciated.

Reply off or on list.

Thanks

Judy Siers