From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 07:21:15 -0700
First, it bears remembering that the folks of New
Orleans are NOT going to be there.  The government is
compelling all to vacate.  We had no cell phone
service following Hurricane Jeanne when I was in
Florida, so without electricity to charge one's phones
and no phone service, rushing them off to Louisiana
would do no good.

However, these folks are being shipped to places all
over the US that do have electricity and phone
service.  Places like the Dream Center and the Red
Cross are all lending assistance.  Perhaps they could
benefit by accepting them, BUT they would still have
to partner with cell phone companies to provide
service, or it would be a moot point.  This becomes
further complicated because, unless the cell phone is
a brand (sometimes with a specific chip--like Sprint)
that that phone company services, they would not work.

I spent 8 months working in the Network
Telecommunications section of a major corporation.
Recycled cell phones are sold off by the baskets to
third parties at nominal cost, but the old phones are
often considered useless.

Indigo Nights