From:
Rick Wiedenmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 1994 18:31:51 CST
I received this over the TALLSHIP list.  Thought some one might have some info.

 Rick

RICK WIEDENMANN                    [log in to unmask]
COLLECTIONS MANAGER                         (512) 595-2810
JOHN E. CONNER MUSEUM                   FAX (512) 595-2112
TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY-KINGSVILLE
CAMPUS BOX 134
KINGSVILLE, TX 78363
While reading Will Durant's "The Life of Greece," I came across the legend
of Theseus's voyage to Crete, where he slew the Minotaur and won the love
of fair Ariadne (whom he subsequently abandoned on Naxos, but never
mind!).  Anyway, I was intrigued by the following footnote:

  The Athenians counted all this as history.  They treasured for
  centuries, by continually repairing it, the ship in which Theseus
  had sailed to Crete, and used it as a sacred vessel in sending
  envoys annually to the feast of Apollo at Delos.

It seems to be that we ought to know more about this, the earliest known
example of historic ship preservation.  Can anyone fill in any details?
What was the name of the vessel, what was she like, how long did she last
and what eventually became of her?