From:
Mandy Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 1995 13:57:17 -0600
As the new director I have finally gotten through everything in the
permanent collection and have come across a box of 17 fans.  There
are no collection records except for an incomplete list in the
box.  Most are from Kyoto, Japan and Paris, France dated from 1928 -
1932.  Some are hand painted and signed from the imperial university,
others are embroidered and others are ostrich plumes.

Now for the questions:

How they should be stored?  In their original boxes? on their side
(edge of the folds) or on the top or bottem (on the wood/bone stay)?
Currently they are in the original boxes, wrapped in pink paper with
Japanese writing, or in cardboard tubes.

Would you recommend someone that could repair and appraise them (for
the required university insurance value only)?

How can you tell bone from ivory?

Would the fans be tourist items or goods that would have been bought
by the citizens?

I have no expertise with textiles so any help would be
appreciated.  Please resond to me off the list.  Thank you.

Mandy Brooks
Director of Museums and Galleries
Southern Utah University
351 West Center Street