From:
Chris Kolakowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 2003 11:25:39 -0400
Crystal,
     My name is Chris Kolakowski, and I am a graduate student at the
State University of New York at Albany.  I am an 8-year veteran of the
National Park Service, and currrently work for Saratoga National
Historical Park and the New York State Office of General Services here
in Albany.
    You may recall sending out information last October on the German
Chancellor Scholarship, and I made a note then to apply for the 2004-05
class.  Thank you for reminding me to get started on finding a mentor.
 I did have a few questions for you:

1.  Is the monthly stipend enough to cover living expenses (hopefully
with a little to spare)?

2.  What is your project, and what are some of the other projects being
worked on?  I would like to research some German student units in the
First World War.

3.  Do you have a sense of the background of your class?  Are most folks
established in their field, with some grad school under their belt? (I
would assume so.)

4.  My WWI project will require travel throughout Germany to a variety
of different repositories.  Who covers that expense?  Does the
Institute, or does it come out of my monthly stipend?

5.  Do you have any other advice/thoughts?  Is there anything you wish
someone had told you before you went?

Thank you very much for your time and help.  I look forward to hearing
from you soon.

Sincerely,
Christopher L. Kolakowski