From:
Jackie McConachie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 10:51:59 -0500
The bathrooms are nothing compared to the inconvenience of getting up and
down "the hill." We waited a half-hour while people with bullhorns
corralled us around a variety of obstacles to get on the shuttle bus.
Forget about the tram ride, that was packed.  The line was so long for the
return trip we decided to walk down (an interesting adventure in heels).
The line at the bottom to take a shuttle back to the parking lot was
incredibly unorganized.  The security people made no effort to keep cars
and taxis away from the shuttle bus stop.  This created a backup of
shuttles, taxis, personal vehicles, limousines, etc.  People were getting
very ugly and at one point there was a general surge towards the shuttle
buses from all sides.  I felt sorry for the newcomers at the bottom of the
hill.  They did not know the "routine" and were often abused by people
standing in line while they were walking around trying to figure out where
the end of the line was located.  (This could be quickly remedied by the
placement of stanchions.)  We waited well over an hour for our shuttle bus,
looking back on the throng with sympathy but glad to be out of there.  My
advice, if you know well in advance you're going and can get parking
tickets, DO IT.  Otherwise, splurge and get a taxi.
Despite the long lines and lack of restrooms, would I go again?  You bet,
it's well worth it if you do some prior planning.

Jackie

>Getty Museum Short on Bathrooms
>
> LOS ANGELES (AP)   It's art in loo of bathrooms.
>
>They forgot to install enough bathrooms at the $1 billion Getty Museum.
>There are no restrooms in the North or South Pavilions and only one set
>of small bathrooms, with four stalls in the women's restroom, in the West
>Pavilion.
>
>"This is one of those unfortunate things that can happen in large
>construction projects. You realize you made a mistake well into the
>project, but by then it is too late," said Barbara Whitney, the Getty's
associate
>director for administration and public affairs.
>
>Long lines outside the women's restrooms are common on busy weekends
>at the architecturally grand Getty, where crowds have been running at
>8,000.
>
>There are no immediate plans to solve the bathroom shortage, Whitney
>said, since adding portable toilets is out of the question. They just
wouldn't
>fit in, she said.
>
> But in the long term, more bathrooms are at the top of the museum's
>list of things to do.
>
>The good news: Drinking fountains are scarce, too.
***

>Evidently, if you love fine art and understand museums, you never have
>to pee again...
>
>--
>D. Neil Bremer
>Bremer Communications
>Image & Communication Skills for Business
>http://www.BremerCommunications.com
>(708) 848-5945  Office
>(708) 848-6011  Fax

Jackie McConachie