From:
Thames Valley Museum School <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:02:08 -0500
Hi Stephanie,

Several summers ago in a small town called Smiths Falls, I ran summer day camps with an off-site component.  The best one was 'CSI:Smiths Falls'.  We did several fun hours of learning about fingerprints, footprint casts, and artist sketch software with several retired men from National Defense and the RCMP.  After lunch, the children walked over to the town jail where they enjoyed being shown around (and into a real jail cell!) and on the way back, stopped for donuts!  During the time away, we prepared a 'crime' to happen, which they then had to solve, using their newly learned skills.  This was so popular it was run three years in a row!

Other day camp themes were going off-site for a hike lead by a field naturalist, and linking craft and snacks to support the activity (we made water bottle carriers and trail mix, etc.).  For an insect themed day, we walked over to a local bee-keeper who mesmerized us with his bees.  Again, our snacks and crafts revolved around the insect theme.

Most off-site activities work best if they can utilize community locations to keep costs down.  It's sometimes surprising what you have around you that you can work into a camp activity.

Good luck!

Jennifer

Jennifer Beauchamp
Curator