From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:08:58 -0600
Indigo and all:

I must add a few bits of information, as a resident of Nebraska (past 4+
years), that might return the focus of the original post . . .

FIRST:
The Museum Studies program at University of Nebraska - Lincoln (UNL) was
in the top 5 in the nation.  As UNL put the program on the "Priority
Programs" list, this impending elimination comes as a surprise to
everyone.

SECOND:
One of Nebraska's "esteemed" (note of sarcasm) State Senators, Ernie
Chambers, has set forth a proposal in the state legislature (Unicameral)
that college football players get paid for their skills.  Does he forget
the economy is in crisis, too many people are living below the poverty
line, unemployment is on the rise, "annual raises" for those working
have been a dream of the past, and - many (if not most) college football
players have scholarships and stipends already!

The problem is wider than just eliminating one graduate program and,
likely, taking employment away from a few experts in the field of
museology.  This will have a much wider impact - in the city of Lincoln,
in the state of Nebraska, and in the Midwest.  Who knows . . . maybe
nationally!  At Joslyn Art Museum, we depend each year upon UNL Museum
Studies students as interns.  Such opportunities give them some
professional exposure and income, and give us eager interns, with able
hands and minds.  Of course, this also means hiring for entry level
positions in this region will become a bit trickier.  All in all, this
contributes to the cultural vacuum that has constantly drawn museum
talent away from the Midwest, to the coasts.

So, while the copyright discussion and the woes of society in general
are important, how about some substantive talk about this specific
issue?  (In other words, a universal broadening of the scope of this
economic problem does not lessen each specific blow.)

Sincerely,

Jay Heuman
Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum
2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
342-3300 (telephone)   342-2376 (fax)