From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 04:01:54 -0700
--- "David E. Haberstich" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I won't shoot Deb, but I do have to object to her characterization of the
> National Archives as a few bits of old paper.  The main exhibits--the
> Constitution and Declaration of Independence--are more than "old paper" for
> most Americans.  And quite a few non-Americans seem to find these fundamental
> documents of interest also.  I would hope that most people would consider
> them more poignant than celebrity artifacts such as "Dorothy's" slippers and
> Fonzie's jacket in American History.

Okay, I was being a bit tounge in cheek when I did refer to the Constitution
and the DOI as "bits of old paper". The point I was trying to make is that
there isn't much of an exhibit there (or at least when I last went several
years ago) so all you see are the documents. While I think that artifacts
should stand on their own merit, it's kind of anti-climatic to have to wait for
so long and then look at this old piece of parchment in a really ugly case
through low, amber lighting.

I don't know what renovations are being done, but I would hope that an expanded
exhibit is in the works and that these documents could be better interpreted.

As for Dorothy's slippers or Fonzi's jacket, dude - heretic!! Heretic!! More
people in the US probably know "Toto, I don't think we're in a Kansas anymore,"
than the preamble to the Constitution. (Unless you're from my generation and
can sing the Schoolhouse Rock version. :) But as for national importance, I
don't think Fonzi ever set national policy. You never know tho'. ;)

> P.S.  Let's not forget about the Jefferson and Lincoln memorials either.
> They're worth the pilgrimage.

If you're down by the Vietnam memorial, the Lincoln is right there. And if it's
not too hot, the tital basic with the Jefferson and other memorials are worth
the added trek.

Deb