From:
Kim Olsen-Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:13:35 -0500
Our museum is considering renting out our museum for private functions as another source of earning steady income.  Since we
are a heritage house museum, we have limited square footage available, as well as having a very limited amount of party
supplies on hand and no working kitchen.  Bottom-line, we will have to do strategic seating arrangements around exhibitions for
tables and people need to bring their own tables, chairs, linens, etc.  After discussing table arrangements with a caterer, we have
a rough idea of how many people can comfortably sit at tables or stand/sit for cocktail parties  (70-150).  In the process of
determining the price structure, however, we have mixed opinions on how best to calculate the rental price, which could range
from renting the entire museum to renting individual rooms.  And how do we take into consideration the function itself since it
could range from bridal showers (light usage) to a major corporate affair (heavy usage) and the fact that the renters are renting
space only (remember they are renting from another source the food,  tables, chairs, linens, etc.).  Any suggestions from those who
faced this similar problem?  One idea is take our ideal top rental price (based upon a full-blown affair: entire museum, sit down
dinner, entertainment, dancing) and divide the total by maximum # of people.  Then divide or subtract various components
based upon the house use, square footage, food, # volunteers needed, etc.  Sounds rather complicated, but willing to do this
since we average about 5 calls per week about renting our museum.  Thank you in advance to everyone who responds.