From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:57:05 -0400
IMHO, there's no such thing as too much training. Continually improving
and updating your skills makes you a more valuable employee. I think
the real question is not one of evaluating community college vs 4 year
school but rather evaluating the level of skills you'll acquire in this program.

When I hire there are a couple of really key things I look for in a resume.
They include an evaluation how the current are the applicant's skills--has
the applicant continued to improve through workshops, seminars, courses,
professional meetings, etc.-- and is the applicant a member of appropriate
professional organizations--the state, regional or national museum
professional membership group for example. Membership in an applicable
professional committees also indicates the applicant is attempting to
remain current in both theory and practice. Notice the emphasis I put
on "applicable" If I'm hiring someone for a museum education position,
I want to see a membership in ED-Com, not in the local garden club.

I am less than sympathetic to cries of "my museum won't (can't) pay to send me"
because I believe it is the responsibility of each person to insure they improve
themselves and that it's a nice bonus if your museum sends you to training, but
there are lots of opportunities at the local or state level that are cost efficient.

So, take the course if it is convenient to you and the topics are applicable
to your career goals. and best of luck.

Diane Gutenkauf
Manager, Interpretation & Exhibits
The Morton Arboretum

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 12:40:57 -0400, Jodi Wendl <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm a 28 year old professional who holds a BA in History from a 4 year
>college. I have been on the look out for fulltime museum employment for
>about 5 years and have seen how hard to come by it is.
>
>My question is: I have found an interesting program at Bucks County
>Community College (PA) that awards a certificate of Historic Preservation
>in a 2 year program.  It is one of the only ones in the area and I'm hoping
>not to relocate. WILL A CERTIFICATE FROM A COMMUNITY COLLEGE BE ACCEPTED AS
>LEGITIMATE OR JUST POSSIBLY DEVALUE MY UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE? (i.e. - "why
>did she go to a community college AFTER a 4 year program?")
>
>Any input/impressions from other professionals would be VERY appreciated!
>Thanks for your time.
>
>Jodi Wendl

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv
commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "help" (without the
quotes).

>If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should
read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes).