From:
Carol Riggles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 08:24:27 -0500
Don,

There is a trend in web design to limit the table size to the width of 600
and to left justify.  Lots of sites follow this "norm."  However, I prefer
things centered as well.

Lynne,

Regardless of whether you choose to center or not, your site is extremely
attractive.  I am really getting tired of all the bells and whistles people
insist on adding to websites that increase loading time and detract from the
overall appearance.  Thanks for keeping your site subtle and sophisticated
in appearance.

Now, however, I am forced to ask, have you obtained copyright to the images
you are displaying on the home page?  I saw no reference to such permission.
The reason I ask is because, one, I instantly recognize the snippet from
Vermeer's "The Art of Painting" that belongs to the Kunsthistorisches Museum
in Vienna.  The painting was recently hanging in the National Gallery of
Art, Washington, DC for a very happy American audience that had been hoping
to have this painting on display in 1995/6 when the NGA put together a
Vermeer exhibition and was unable to show the above-mentioned painting
because of its fragile condition.  After several years of restoration, the
painting was finally available, and luckily the NGA realized having it show
up late was better than never.

A second reason for me to ask is that copyright issues and websites have
been a major topic of discussion in the classes I have been taking, and I am
hoping to find out what others are doing, or how they interpret the
rules/laws as they apply to website display.

Thanks,

Carol Carpenter Riggles
Graduate Student, Art History
University of Maryland