From:
Jennifer Dursi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:14:21 -0400
It is true that the savings is marginal for smaller camps but the payoffs
are huge. And the major thing saved is time.  With a smaller camp it takes
half the time to do registration, half as long to check campers in, half as
long for bathroom breaks, hand washing, etc. Thus, the time spent on actual
projects, education, etc. is greatly increased. When the museum I worked at
lowered the camp size, they went from two week camps with 30 campers to one
week camps with 15 campers and offered two sessions (kept the same staff
size).  The amount of information covered in 1 week was the same as they
had done previously in two weeks. (Our camps were mostly science based and
were predominately hands-on projects and usually very messy, so the time
issue was a big factor for us.) The camps became so popular because of the
benefits of a small group size that we were able to increase the price and
offer 8 weeks of camp. They were just as profitable and even more popular.

Jennifer