From:
beth j silbergleit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 08:32:51 -0600
I have a masters degree in museum studies and anthropology, and am
currently working in a special collections of an academic library.  I have
found my museum studies background extremely helpful in my position, which
includes manuscripts, reference, and exhibitions.  Collections management,
conservation, handling materials, providing access, creating exhibitions,
donor relations, public relations, fundraising activities (and resultant
conflicts) are prominent areas of theoretical and methodological overlap.
Coongress sees the direct connection between libraries and museums,
unfortunately most library/museum administrations and personnel offices do
not.  My sense is that too many people are too myopically vested in their
own degrees.

Beth Silbergleit