From:
Chuck Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 15:38:15 -0400
Dear Elizabeth:

Sorry I didn't see your request earlier, but maybe others have given you this
information.  The best history of period rooms that I know of is Diane
Pilgrim's
"Inherited from the Past: The American Period Room," in The American Art
Journal, May 1978, pp. 5-23.  Also helpful, "The Period Room," The Luminary
(newsletter of Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts), Summer 1986;
William Voss Elder III, "The Dismantling and Restoration of an Historic
Room," Museum News Technical Supplement, April 1967, No. 17.  There are a
couple of others but I am building new galleries and can't get to some of my
files for a few days.  If you are still interested let me know and I'll try
to dig out more for you.  There is, for example, a good one on the Wythe
House room changes that appeared a couple of years ago in Antiques and a more
recent analysis of that project in the English magazine, Country Life.  Also,
if you need copies of the articles mentioned above, let me know and I'll send
them to you.
Regards,
Chuck Watkins

--